You won’t even miss the meat in this hearty vegetarian chili.
Hands-on Time: 25 min. | Total Time: 60 min. | Serves: 8 | Difficulty: Easy
- 1½ lbs. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half or quarters if large
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes with juices
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cans (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
- In a 4 quart pot over medium heat add oil, onion, garlic, pepper, salt and pepper. Cook 2-4 minutes until softened. Add tomato paste, cocoa powder, chili powder, cumin and cayenne; cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, broth, black beans and butternut squash; bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes or until squash is tender; adjust seasoning to taste. Garnish as desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers.